Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have numerous brand-new methods and clinical breakthroughs emerged in such a brief duration of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of individuals the chance to lower or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to fix vision, but stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist make sure that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting referrals from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be fooled by elegant ads about a particular laser. Select the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Select a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't understand can hurt you.
4. Request details on your physician's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. Discover another one if your doctor won't tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what procedures are taken to avoid infection. Insist that your eye is completely decontaminated, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute.
7. Anticipate to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each patient gets a somewhat various outcome. The very best cosmetic surgeon in the world can't guarantee 20/20 vision. As my sources with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each patient. Be careful of any medical professional who assures 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not lose sight of the advantages: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless people around the globe.